Lyme and other insect-borne illnesses are preventable, with one caveat – awareness. As a globally recognized maker of insect repellent clothing, Insect Shield is addressing the educational awareness voids head-on. The latest initiatives include collaborations with leading insect-borne disease heath experts and non-profits, enhanced protection program options for outdoor workers, families and pregnant women, and an expanded line-up of brand partners throughout the globe.
Insect Shield continues to be called upon by partners concerned about insect-borne diseases for help devising and communicating education tools and prevention tactics and has reached out to leading health experts to ramp up resources in the wake of Zika and Lyme concerns. Integral in the process were, Joe Conlon, Technical Advisor for the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA) and Dr. Thomas Mather, Director of the University of Rhode Island Tick Encounter Resource Center and one of the nation’s leading tick experts. Insect Shield also worked with leading board-certified neurologist, Elena Frid, and non-profit partner Project Lyme.
Heather Hearst, Founder Project Lyme
Dr Elena Frid, Pediatric and Adult Autoimmune Neurologist and Lyme Specialist
Dr Thomas Mather, PhD, Director of Tickencounter.org at the University of Rhode Island
According to the CDC, Lyme disease is the fastest growing Vector Borne Infectious Disease in the United States.
- THERE ARE AT LEAST 340,000 NEWLY DIAGNOSED LYME CASES PER YEAR IN THE UNITED STATES ALONE.
- LYME DISEASE IS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE WITH DOMINANTLY NEUROLOGICAL SYMPTOMS.
- THE NUMBER OF LYME CASES REPORTED ANNUALLY IN THE US HAS INCREASED 25-FOLD SINCE NATIONAL SURVEILLANCE BEGAN IN 1982.
- THERE ARE 5 SUBSPECIES OF BORRELIA BURGDORFERI, OVER 100 STRAINS IN THE US, AND 300 STRAINS WORLDWIDE.
- FEWER THAN 50% OF PATIENTS WITH LYME DISEASE RECALL A TICK BITE OR RASH.
- RESEARCH INDICATES 50-70% OF PATIENTS TESTED FOR LYME DISEASE RECEIVE FALSE NEGATIVE RESULTS.
- OVER 50% OF TICKS IN LYME-ENDEMIC AREAS ARE INFECTED WITH THE LYME BACTERIA.
- AT LEAST 50% OF LYME DISEASE SYMPTOMS CAN BE EASILY MISTAKEN FOR OTHER ILLNESSES.
- 20-60% OF LYME PATIENTS END UP WITH LONG TERM HEALTH PROBLEMS.
- THE AVERAGE PATIENT SEES 5 DOCTORS OVER NEARLY A 2 YEAR PERIOD BEFORE BEING DIAGNOSED.
- SHORT TREATMENT COURSES HAVE RESULTED IN AT LEAST 40% RELAPSE RATE, ESPECIALLY WHEN TREATMENT IS DELAYED.
Detailed information about a variety of vector-borne diseases, and the insects that can carry them, has been added to the newly enhanced Insect Shield website. Expanded work wear and lifestyle protective products, including options for children and pregnant women, are also available. Additionally, a more robust IS Your Own Clothes program enables impacted consumers, teams, campers and global health workers to get their own clothing treated. The program was deployed by the US Rowing team for added protection during the 2016 Rio Olympics, and now features a more user-friendly ordering process and multi-pack incentive options.